Friday, June 13, 2008

Ryan Loves Popsicles!

For the past few nights we have been giving Ryan a special treat after dinner...a popsicle and well he just Loves this! We have actually created a popsicle obsessed baby! He now knows exactly how to say "pop" "more pop" "more" when the popsicle is gone. We had been giving him regular popsicles from stop and shop you know the kind with all the sugar and high fructose corn syrup and artifical colors and preservatives...you know the really really bad stuff.( I don't even give him juice but I was giving him those popsicles) Well then I decided that I should be a better mom and give him a healthier alternative so I made him some homemade pops the other night using a kit I bought at Bed Bath and Beyond and I pureed a ripe peach, pear, banana and a little orange juice and voila! Fresh healthy popsicle and thankfully he liked this one just as much while they may not taste quite as good as the artificial ones I feel a lot better giving him these. I know I am a bit neurotic I will admit it. That and I try to fend him off at dinner time with fresh or frozen veggies instead of junk. But I have to confess while at a playdate yesterday he ate 2 cranberry orange muffins, pirate booty, and stole "Ine's" yogurt smoothy at lunch time! Yes he actually took it when we were not looking and sucked the entire drink down in a single gulp...must have been much better than his milk.

Although he may look like a health nut on paper...but our child also ate a lean cuisine dinner earlier in the week rice and beans to be exact smothered with extra cheese and sour cream to combat any adult spice. My lack of cooking and nausea have come to me giving my child lean cuisine frozen meals for dinner..sad I know but he actually loved every bite. Does anyone have a yummy super easy recipe for some good rice and beans? I am really trying to do better in the nutrition department now that I am feeling a tad bit less nauseous.

Two nights ago he ran over to the neighbors after dinner (we were eating out on the deck and we left the gate open and he got away) and decided to sit at their picnic table and inhale an entire bowl of chips veggie chips but still. The child just finished eating dinner followed by a "pop" and then my neighbor went in to fill the bowl again and he inhaled that one too. I think Ryan is secretly becoming a closet junk food junkie! They thought it was so cute I kept thinking what a little piggy stealing junk food like that oh and this is not the first time. Oh well I guess we should be thankful that he actually eats I know some children will not even eat much at all.

Also to add to my neurosis I kept Ryan away from all pupblic play areas this week b/c coxsackie virus is going around...that ment no trips to the library, playtime village, or the mall play area. Just to be safe I would like to try and avoid this nasty virus at all costs. Some of the s/s include mouth, hand, and food sores, and a high fever. Self limiting but still if we can avoid it I would like too. So we stayed low at home and playdates with friends outside.

I cannot wait to go home tonight to see the finished product of our kitchen renovations so far it looks so fantastic! I will post some updated pictures soon! Happy Father's Day to all the Dads! Have a great weekend.

1 comment:

Jenny G said...

He's such a good eater! I know it's probably hard to keep up, huh? Maybe make a big amount of rice and beans to freeze and serve? I've just used beans, brown rice and a mild salsa (has enough flavor for the rice and beans) all mixed together for a tasty easy meal. HTH!

BTW, I wanna see some pregnant Jen photos, too!!!