Friday, June 20, 2008

Help Ryan only wants Mama!

This is new I would say it started only a few weeks ago and very gradually but now it suddenly hit me today and I was showering and a curious little voice kept calling out "Mama, mama, Mama" and then curious little fingers kept opening the shower door as water sprayed all over the bathroom....there was much whining each time I pulled the shower door shut. It just further adds to a busy morning in the Flynn house as we all scurry around like mice trying to get ready and get out the door. This frenzy of a morning routine is no one's fault but our own we try to sleep as long as possible and finally forcefully pull ourselves out of bed to get ready. But now Ryan only wants Mama to get him up out of bed, Mama to change his diaper and get him dressed (refused to take his PJ top off for Greg as I commented send him to Polina's in his PJs if he insists some things are just not worth fighting over) finally he agreed not pleasantly though. I think he even hit Greg a few times as he was picked up to get changed.

It is the same sort of thing with breakfast and even the other day as I dropped him off he only wanted me and I left Polina's as she held my screaming kicking child! We have also started a crying/whining routine of standing at the gate calling for me as Greg is trying to put him down for bed. I try not to go upstairs or go outside to water the flowers or something so he does not hear me. It makes it dificult on Greg. Not sure if it is just a phase but we are hoping he will outgrow it soon. It just makes it hard on everyone. Greg wants nothing more than to spend time with Ryan and usually lately all he wants is me.

I sum it up to this I am always home with him during the week. For the most part it is Ryan and I most of Saturday while Greg is playing golf so that really only leaves Sunday and lately Greg has been playing in a tournament both Sat and Sun for the past few weeks (now ended) and for the most part Greg is not around much in the mornings or evenings many times he leaves before Ryan is up and is home after he is in bed. Not sure if this is lack of time spent with Daddy or he just really wants mommy. I have started to encourage Greg to spend more time with Ryan if he is home like giving him a bath and putting him to bed and getting him up if he is home. Seems like a stuggle for them both now but I am hoping in the end it will improve the situation.

Ryan is starting to get a bit more demanding in some areas and I feel this is normal for his age. He now throws a fit when it is time to leave the park, and when it is time to come inside to wash up for dinner/bath/bedtime. We usually have to pull him away from our neighbors kicking and screaming. I find it msot challenging these days to get dinner on the table in a timely manner b/c Ryan is constantly demanding my attention and gets jealous if I am chopping or at the stove and sometimes will throw a fit. I also find when I am cooking or cleaning he looks for mischief to get into such as the dishwasher the tv buttons the dog food and such. Last night Greg came home for dinner and played with Ryan in the backyard while I got dinner ready and can I tell you how pleasant it was to prepare a meal with out Ryan pulling at my clothes or pushihng me away from the stove, or whining for attention. It was sooo pleasant. Not sure how to deal with this when Greg is working late. Any suggestions? I try to let him help but really there is only so much a 20 month old can do in the kitchen.

Hopefully this is just a phase he will out grow. Don't get me wrong for the most part Ryan is a very happy easy going child. I am touched that we have such a close relationship but at the same time I want him to enjoy spending time with his Daddy too. I will continue to encourage more time with Daddy when at all possible.

No comments: