Friday, June 27, 2008

Attack of the Bees!!!

Poor Ryan and Polina were attacked by a swarm of bees late Wed afternoon. I heard she was checking the mail of a neighbor who has been traveling. Her neighbors mail had been on hold but Polina periodically will check. Apparently a family of bees/wasps/hornets were living in the mailbox and when they opened the mailbox they all came swarming our attacking the two of them. Poor little Ryan got stung on his neck and his hand. Polina got stung on her hand.

Both ended up having to seek medical attention for their bites! Polina was in the ER late last night and given a steriod she is being treated for a possible allergic reaction. I noticed on Thursday morning Ryan's left middle finger was a bit red and slighlty swollen. I though nothing of it. He was not complaining and did not seemed bothered by me pressing on it. By dinner time it had swelled significatnly and I felt a little warmth (tell tale signs of infection include: Heat, Redness, Warmth, Purulent discharge) well he had 3/4 symptons present late last evening. I put a call in to the pedi and he assured me it was a normal reaction to a sting and I had double checked the dose of Benadryl with him. The pedi advised me to call in the Am if no improvement. He went to bed all was well.

This morning we noticed his his finger was still swollen slighly worse but now his entire hand was puffy and it appeared his arm was a bit puffy too. Still red with the warmth radiating up his arm. This to me was cause for alarm. So lucky for me Greg was working from home today and was able bring him to the pedi. I did not have to miss work. It is hard for me to miss b/c I only work the 2 days. I just got nervous b/c we are headed out of town tonight and I want to make sure all is well with Ryan. So Greg called me at work and as suspected he has a minor cellulitis or skin infection and is now taking antibiotics. Poor little man. Lucky for us to know he is likely not allergic to bees. I hope he is better soon.

It is so sad though b/c Ryan is now petrified of all bugs..."bees" as he calls all insects. There was a fly buzzing around the dining room at dinner last night and Ryan totally freaked....shouting "bee bee" and crying covering his face with his hands. Poor little man. I tried to assure him it was not a bee that is was a fly and he would not bite. But somehow I don't think he understood I had to move him into the kitchen so he could finish his dinner. Then I felt so bad he was so upset I ended up giving him a pop after dinner and that made him smile.

Poor little Ryan we hope he is on the mend soon. But to cheer him up we promised a visit to Grammy Nancy's and Granddad Jack's and that really made him smile! He has been saying "Dad Dad" all week! So cute. Looking forward to our visit! Have a great weekend!

Yesterday was Grammy Nancy's 60th Birthday. Happy Birthday from all of us!

1 comment:

Jenny G said...

Oh, no! I'm glad he's not allergic..so scary!