Thursday, March 27, 2008

Mutiny Returns!

So the mutiny at mealtimes has returned.....I am going to go ahead and blame teething on this one but who really knows. Ryan started with the mutiny earlier in the week. Thankfully has been eating an extra large breakfast but scant amounts at lunch and very little dinner (although ate for daddy last night) Wants to eat cheerios/annie's bunnies/and booty though and has been eating fruit. My oh my the things they want to eat to survive. Partly it was my fault I sort of gave into him today and let him eat whatever. So in the end we will call it one and a half meals today plus some snacking. I did manage to hide his dinner/lunch of chicken pot pie in some applesauce ....sneaky I know and I have not had to use this trick in a while but it somehow always works. I know he is cutting his eye teeth and 2 molars. Was a bit off all week actually whiny and clingy. I did give him so baby Tylenol and gave him an extra long tubby bath and put him to bed early and that seemed to do the trick. This parenting thing truly is a guessing game at times. Somehow I feel that with the second one it won't get any easier....that I will still be guessing.

On another note...I caught Ryan jumping on the dishwasher door again today for the millionth time...he likes to use it as a stepping stool to get to the counter where his little toddler hands can grab things like my purse, the dog leashes, keys, my cell phone and the such. Somehow he only does this about every other second we are in the kitchen. It got so bad today I finally ordered an appliance latch from one step ahead and I am hoping it will work if not I may have to call the childproof coach we hired last year for some suggestions. I have to do something before he snaps the door to the dishwasher off. I can't imagine how much longer it will hold up with a 30lb toddler jumping on it 80 times a day. I even tried duck taping it shut (looked extremely ghetto but it was worth a try) but the little sneak just ripped the tape off in 0.5 seconds flat. I will cross my fingers for the latch to work. Thanks mom for finding it online!

I just finished watching a tivo'd episode of Jon and Kate plus eight where the kids all had the stomach bug and it took nearly 2 weeks for the bug to run through the entire house can you even imagine? Kerri glad to hear you are all on the mend from that nasty stomach bug. Sorry to hear that you had to deal with it twice in one season!

This week happenings:
Tuesday we had our music class and I have to say Ryan is getting better at listening and sitting during circle time. It is a little embarrassing though b/c he insists on hugging each and every child in the class and somehow not every child wants to be hugged. He has also recently become obsessed with pulling little girls hair clips out of their hair every where we go. Then later that day we had a play date with the ladies from Bunko and Ryan hijacked Lily's snack trap and ate all the goldfish inside. Then Ryan and Lily decided it would be fun to get into her diaper bag and pull all the wipes out all over the floor practically every last one. All the while the moms and I were catching up and we thought the kids were playing nice in the play zone....haha.

Wednesday we went to the aquarium and it was a bit overwhelming and chaotic b/c there appeared to be multiple school field trips and children running recklessly all over the aquarium and it is quite challenging to chase after a toddler and push a stroller at the same time while battling multiple children running all over....but I think he enjoyed the trip. My mommy friends and I just looked at each other and shrugged at all the wild and crazy children running about (something to look forward to in a few years).

Today we had another play date here and in 0.5 seconds we instantly felt like we were on an episode of Jon and Kate plus 8 but with only 4 children and 4 adults. There is never a dull moment in our house. But They were playing well together for the most part it is hard to reason with toddlers in general especially at this age. They don't understand what the word "share" means and I find it challenging to discipline Ryan in front of other moms and his friends. I try my best to remove him from the situation and/or distract him but that is not always an option. Just wondering how all the other moms deal with discipline and trying to enforce it wwhen others are around such as at a play date or out in public. Let's just say that today was one of those days where I was thankful Ryan went to bed early, thankful to see Greg walk through the door from work, and thankful to be going to work tomorrow. It has been a very busy hectic week and I am so looking forward to the weekend. We booked a sitter for the weekend and plan on a night out for ourselves...hooray.

I know it may seem like I do a lot of complaining but I really do enjoy every second of everyday I have with Ryan and I cherish all the good and bad times we share. I just feel like sharing these experiences with all of you. Thanks for listening.

2 comments:

Christina said...

I feel your pain! I have a snacker on my hands too!! todays lunch was strawberries, crackers and green beans - what kind of combination was that??? Im hoping its just a stage!

Enjoy your date night out this weekend!

Jenny G said...

Jen,
It helps me to read other's experiences. I never see your posts to be complaining..just informing and sharing. Thank you.