Monday, July 21, 2008

Mommy!

Ryan now calls me Mommy! It is so adorable. He always used to call me Mama but lately last week he started using Mommy instead. When he wakes in the morning I now hear "mommy!" Instead of "Mama!" Still refers to Greg as Dada. But he has various nicknames for everyone.

Me: now Mommy occasionally still mama but rarely
Greg: Dada
Grammy: Mimi
Grampy: Papa
Uncle Freddie: Eddie
Granddad: Dad Dad
Polina: Pia
Caroline: Ine
Dylan: Diyya or Dow Dow
His Bunny Blanket: Bubby
Ryan (himself): Ry-Ry
Milk: moo moo

Ryan has recently become more vocal in pronouncing his words and will usually try to repeat what we are saying most of the time. Past few weeks has started using compound phrases like "How are you?" "Mommy up" "Dada hat or Dada shoe" I read that they start with the compound phrases around age 2.

Weekend Re-cap
Saturday we had a fun play date with our neighbor Sophia Daddy pulled the kiddos around in the driveway in the wagon at lightning speed and they just had a ball in the kiddie pool. We put the slide to the climber right in front of the pool so when they go down the slide they go crashing into the pool. They just love this and it tires them out so much! Then after lunch and an afternoon nap we headed over to Elephant Steps in Norwark for a Birthday party. What a great place for this age. They have a padded gym area with soft climbers and slides and a great water room. Then the kids had a little bubble show and before we knew it it was time for cake and pizza and the party was over. What a fun time. Ryan was so pooped after. But they do parties there and they have classes and open play too. A bit pricier than playtime village in Monroe $12 vs $8 or $9 but more options so we may have to make another visit for some free play.

Sunday and today Greg is playing in the New England something or other golf tourney over at Laurel View Country Club in Hamden so Ryan and I decided to tag along for the ride and continue on to Agawam for a surprise visit at Mimi and Papa's. They were so happy to see us for the day and Ryan got to go to the park and play in the pool. Then we both took a little afternoon nap and went to meet Greg. I am glad we decided to go to my parents b/c being cooped up inside just the two of us would not have been as much fun! Thanks Mimi and Papa for such a fun visit! It was great spending the day with you! It was so hot yesterday and I hear today is even worse. Not sure how Greg can play in this heat! He is really hard core!

Oh I almost forgot. Friday I enjoyed a girls night with a few moms over at Barcelona. We don't get out much you know. We enjoyed a evening of fun conversation great food and drinks too (well not for me) but the others sure had fun. Barcelona is such a fun atmosphere and it is a great place to go in a small group b/c you can order a bunch of tapas and share. The wine/drinks I hear are also fabulous. It is such a great group of moms. All our kiddos are roughly the same age and 2 moms have new babies and two of us are expecting or second.

Friday I also stopped off at a consignment store for a swing for the new baby (thanks for the tip Kerri! I wish I had had more time to check out the clothes though). I have twice been on Craigs list trying to get this very same swing but so hard to coordinate schedules with people and pick a time and place so I decided to call over and they had just what I needed for less too. I had been wanting a cradle swing for the new baby a newer model one that reclines and swings both back and forth and side to side. But I had refused to pay $130 for a new one. I am so pleased with the one we bought and you know who was also so excited to play in it too. I think he entertained himself in that infant swing for over an hour and he even refused to get out of the swing to eat his dinner so he ate in the swing too. I knew Ryan would want to try it out a few times and that is why I really wanted to buy a second hand one and not borrow from a friend b/c I worry Ryan will break it I think he may be over the weight limit I will have to check. But anyways I think Ryan approved of the swing and he was well aware that the swing was not for him we told him he could try it but that it was for the new baby and he hopped in saying "baby, baby" so we think he got the picture. He was just trying it out to make sure it was in working order for his little brother.

Tonight I have a work meeting to discuss potentially picking up more hours when I return from my maternity leave next spring. One of the Dr's will be retiring...So we will see how this goes over. I think I am ready to pick up maybe another day next spring but I know it will be difficult trying to get out of the door on time. The one thing I know for sure is I won't be returning full time anytime soon b/c Ryan starts preschool in Sept. on Tues and Thurs and I won't be able to work these two days b/c I need to be able to drop him off and pick him up. It is only for 2.5 hrs twice a week but I think it will be good for Ryan to interact with the other kids. I am mildly concerned about the germ factor though especially with a newborn but I will have to get over it!

Tomorrow we are supposed to be getting our new oven delivered HOORAY! I know it is way too hot to be baking but I really do miss having an oven!

Stay cool! I hear it is a hot one out there!

1 comment:

Erin Flynn said...

Thank goodness you have Ryan to "test out" all the new baby items! What a good big brother =)