Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Coxsacki False Alarm!......Phew!

So the neurotic mother that I am I convinced myself Ryan had contracted Coxsackie virus. A common but serious viral illness common in toddlers in the summer/early fall months. It is a horrible illness that has plagued nearly everyone we know recently. The presentation and signs and symptoms are different in each individual. But mainly loss of appetite, high fever, sore throat, vomiting/diarrhea, and sores on the hands, feet and in the mouth. It is highly contagious. Why did I convince myself Ryan had this horrible virus? Because I noticed a rash on his hands and face Monday night and worse Tuesday morning. I looked at some pictures of coxsackie virus on the internet courtesy of Dr. Sears and convinced myself those indeed were the lesions Ryan exhibited. I even consulted with Michelle and she said it sounded like he had it (although she admitted it was hard to diagnose over the phone)...oh and he had loss of appetite and diarrhea the day before for Polina also symptoms of the disease. So again being the neurotic overprotective mother that I am I cancelled our lovely play date with Sophia at the Longshore pool and scheduled another sick visit with the pedi.

If my child does not have coxsackie surely he will have it after playing/touching every single germ infested toy in the office waiting room. Dr. strong said he has seen sooooo many cases of coxsackie the past few days. I am thinking to myself...nice and Ryan touched every toy in the waiting room...oh well. But seriously the rash is not coxsackie thank goodness it is however an allergic reaction we are thinking he is allergic to Sabrina. But no worries he is fine. The rash on his face and arms is still present but not getting worse.

Glad to know we can head into the holiday weekend free of illness (we hope) and still keep our holiday plans. Hope everyone has a very safe and happy 4th of July!

3 comments:

Jenny G said...

I'm SO glad he doesn't have it. That's one of my biggest worries too! I am realizing that with 2 kids I'm twice as neurotic....
BTW, what/who's Sabrina??

Jen said...

Jenny she is the Flynn family dog...

Jenny G said...

Oh..makes sense now :)