Monday, July 28, 2008

HELP!!!! No Naps and Lots of Crib Climbing!!!!!

So yeah it is official a week with literally no naps and a week full of crib climbing and I don't know what to do! Ryan effortlessly in a foul swoop will now climb out of his crib at home over 100 times in 5 minutes and each time has a lovely smirk on his face squealing in delight at his proud accomplishment. He now no longer naps for our babysitter Polina climbs out of the pack and play opens the door to his room and aimlessly roams about her immaculate home until she discovers he is up to no good. He has been climbing out of the pack and play at Nancy and Jack's house and even started climbing out of the crib at my parents house over the weekend. It has now been a week with no naps and bedtime is now a 1.5-2 hr minimum process. So now we are faced with an extremely over tired 20 month old who adores his new found freedom of climbing out of his crib at will and becomes even more mischievous especially given the lack of sleep! Just a few weeks ago he was sleeping 11 hrs at night and taking 2-3 hour naps now he sleeps only 9 hours per night with no naps! HELP!

So here is my dilemma after discussing this situation on multiple occasions with numerous fellow mommy friends (of course their little ones are sleeping so nicely in their cribs NOT climbing)And my big question is this....Option A: Do I put him in a big boy bed and end the climbing thereby forfeiting his nap and deal with months of nigh time awakenings and wandering? or Option B: continue with the current situation and hope it is a phase he will get over but somehow I doubt it..... For example a friend of mine with 2 children ages almost 1 and 3 chose option A in anticipation of her second son to ensure the older one would be in a big boy bed and she could use the crib for the newborn she did this months in advance to prevent jealousy of her older son finding a new baby in his bed she did this not for the same reasons I am faced with.... her older son was NOT climbing. I would seriously keep Ryan in his crib until age 5 if he was sleeping well in it not climbing. Anyways so her older son slept GREAT for the first week then started wandering getting in bed with them. She even tried putting a gate up and her son would stand there all night and scream bloody murder until they let him come to bed with them. I don't know. I already have major insomnia from the pregnancy I am not sure about this wandering issue. Oh and another thing I hear is once they go into a big boy bed naps are forever OVER! It becomes independant quiet time...Ha yeah right not in our house! So the best part of my friend's story is as soon as her older son started sleeping in his bed nearly 4 months later her new baby was born and she was once again faced with sleepless nights for another 4 months that is almost a year of not sleeping at night.

So I have already looked into buying a bed rail and I am thinking of maybe even converting Ryan's crib to a toddler bed first then having him sleep in a big boy bed with rail freeing up crib for the newborn. My only reservation is the no nap issue. Just being pregnant and tired all the time I do like to at least put my feet up and rest a little in the afternoon. But I guess there will be very little rest when the new little one arrives. I was just trying to enjoy my rest time while it lasts. Let's just say I can't wait for school in Sept!

But please offer me any suggestions you may have I am totally desperate in need of some good advice!

Other weekend news Greg and I enjoyed a wonderful Saturday together. Our original plan had been to visit Granddad and Grammy but I still had a lingering cough and Ryan still has a bit of a drippy nose so we opted not to infect any of the Flynn's. It was too long of a drive for Greg to make alone in one day. So we opted to spend some quality time just the two of us. We dropped Ryan off early on Saturday morning and my parents watched him for us. Greg and I decided to go out to lunch (where we had our first date nearly 9 yrs ago) and to a farmer's market and them we went to see Sex and the City. What a cute movie! It was so great to spend the day together and catch up something we have not done it what seems like forever! Thanks mom and dad! You are the best!

Yesterday we went over to Sarah and Jamie's house along with Grazi her husband and Katy and had dinner with them and their kids. I was very hesitant to bring Ryan b/c he had no nap and seemed kind of irritable but he fell asleep on the way but once we got to Sarah's Greg happily volunteered to stay in the car with Ryan a few minutes so he could rest. Well after a half hour I went outside to find both boys sound asleep in the car together...no surprise there. So I gently knocked on Greg's window and told him to come inside. It all turned out fine both boys were refueled and Ryan played so well with the other children. It was a wonderful evening spend with great friends!

So please give us some suggestions on our current dilemma! Thanks in advance!

4 comments:

Jenny G said...

Do you think he'd let you put the crib tent on? I had another friend with a climber that has successfully done this. Ava wasn't climbing (just the one time she fell). She isn't bothered by the crib net. We're keeping her in the crib longer and plan to get another crib (from family) for Tyler in the next few months. I'm not ready to do the transition from crib to toddler bed yet.

Erin Flynn said...

I don't have any advice, but I remember that Heather learned how to climb out of the crib at a very early age. Maybe Pam will have some words of wisdom for you!

Christina said...

I wish I had some advice for you!! Christian hasnt figured out how to climb out of his crib(and I hope he doesnt!) but I think I would look into the big boy bed. I dont know thats a tough one! Im helpful huh?

Good Luck and keep me posted on what you do because I might have that hurdle ahead of me - you never know!

mccashew said...

This post officially terrifies me. Sorry I have no wisdom to share, just sympathy!