Thursday, April 10, 2008

First major injury :(

So we had a terrible scare today at the park. Ryan and friends were enjoying the nice weather it was nearly 70 out there today. Ryan decided to go down the big slide and of course I went with him and he ended up jamming his left leg pretty badly all the way down the slide. He started screaming and then wimpering so I sat down on a nearby park bench with him and took his shoes, socks and pants off to assess for any bruising or swelling...none visible. But he refused to bear weight. This went on for about a half hour then finally I made an executive decision to put a call in to the pedi (who I love!) and they agreed to see him right away.

After a thorough examination...still no visible swelling or bruising or redness all tell tale signs of a major injury (but Ryan's little baby legs are so darn chubby it is hard to imagine any more swelling there)it was determined that he likely had a very bad sprain no fracture. He had full range of motion of all his extremities even the injured side. He suggessted we hold off on the x-ray until the morning if there was still no change with refusal to bear weight. He did not feel it was necessary to expose him to radiation unless he was still non-weight bearing tomorrow morning. But what a scare.

Thankfully Greg came home at lunch to spend the afternoon with me. I was really feeling sorry that I had not been more careful with him at the park. I know it was an accident but I can't help but feel an overwhelming sense of guilt "If I had only done....instead of ....." But Greg reassured me it was an accident and not my fault. Thanks Greggie you are the best!

But poor Ryan refused to bear any weight on his left leg all day....and continued to wimper on and off but some smiles and playfullness in between but lots of wimpering and lots of tears. He just sat on the couch all afternoon. We did take him out for a stroller ride around the neighborhood and that seemed to perk him up and he was his usual playful self in the tub at bedtime. Motrin seemed to help ease the pain a little and he went to bed without a peep. Poor little guy was completley traumitized and collapsed from sheer exhaustion.

Our hope for the morning is he will wake up jumping in his crib like he normally always does and all will be well and we can avoid the x-ray all together but only time will tell. It is just so heart wrenching to see your child wimpering in pain and not be able to comfort them. I will try to keep everyone updated. Thanks for thinking of us.

3 comments:

Christina said...

Oh no! no fun and very scary. I hope he wakes up feeling better for you!

Unknown said...

Poor boo! Give him some extra special love from his auntie and uncle....

Jenny G said...

Oh no! Poor thing..and poor mommy! How stressful! I hope he woke up jumping like usual!