Thursday, January 31, 2008

Mission this Week.....Tire out the toddler!

2008-01-31 Ryan and friends 15 months




Okay so my mission this week was to tire out the toddler....and I think we were able to accomplish this! As mentioned earlier Ryan is a highly energetic 15 month old who gets EXTREMELY bored at home and when this occurs he seeks out the opportunity to get into serious mischief! What a disaster this can be at times so my mission this week was to get out and literally exhaust him so he would pass out so I could have a few precious hours to myself. Sometimes I wonder if going back to work full time would be easier and I think to myself...yes most definitely it would be easier but not as much fun. So here is a re-cap of what we have been up to for he past 3 days.

Tuesday we went to the Milford mall to meet up with Sarah and Caroline. I never imagined I would let my child climb all over the Milford mall play area and touch those germy cars and animals....but times have changed yes I can't believe it...me the total germaphobe can say this but I have learned that Ryan will be exposed to many many germs in his lifetime and hopefully he is old enough to handle it now. I still cringe a the thought of it though. Ryan and Caroline played and played and tired themselves out in that play area (mid week there were not that many there) and Sarah and I were able to enjoy a very peaceful lunch at Panera while the children just sat in their strollers (yes he actually sat very happily in the stroller eating a grilled cheese)glossy eyed ready to pass out. It was the most pleasant lunch outing we have had since Ryan was born. They barely made a peep and Sarah and I got to enjoy our lunch and share in adult conversation for what seemed like forever.

Wednesday we met Jen and Tyler at the Maritime Aquarium for some more fun! Ryan and Tyler just love the mini aquarium at the library so we thought they might enjoy the big aquarium too. Tyler was really into the fish...Ryan on the other hand was more into running around the open area and climbing the stairs. He did enjoy the fish too but mostly loved to roam. It was perfect mid week for him to run around. Lots of the exhibits have little steps up to the aquariums and Ryan just loved climbing these but after a quick peak at the fish he was off running. The best part is that we practically had the whole place to ourselves and there was really no where for Ryan to run out of my reach. Boy that sure tired him out! That was the most he has ever walked/run in his life! They also have a great play area for children under five with padded mats and things to climb on so we stopped by there at the end. And Ryan really enjoyed the sea otter and seals too! It was definitely worth the trip and we hope to get back soon with Greg.

Today we checked out Playtime in Monroe. It is basically this huge indoor play area. There are cozy coupe's, tricycles, tons of other ride ons, little houses with pretend play (themed with cars/trucks, food, dress up, baby dolls) and a huge tiny tykes climber and little slide. Ryan met his friends Caroline and Sophia there and they ran and played until they exhausted themselves! It seemed pretty clean and there were a ton of moms and babies there. They also have a smaller gated area for pre-walkers/crawlers so they won't get trampled by the bigger kids. We thought of getting a membership here but with Spring around the corner and our music class starting back up next week we will pass on it for now. What a huge difference it makes to get out with Ryan and let him run around!

My second mission is to look for used toddler toys. I hate paying full price for toys that Ryan is bored with in 2 weeks time or will out grow. I bought a little push buggy for him for his first birthday and I can barely stuff him in it now. We only used it for a month or so and now his feet are dragging and the seat belt is way too tight around his chubby middle I just feel like it was such a waste of money now. But I did find a cozy coupe on Craig's list for only $25 in excellent condition and I also found a tiny tykes climber for only $30 that we may be picking up this weekend. So we are trying really hard to stick to our plan for 2008 which is to save money for a bigger house and so far in the month of Jan we have managed to keep to the budget.

"Uh OH" is now Ryan's favorite word. He started saying it a few weeks ago and now is constantly saying it and in the right context too....very impressive he says it everytime he or I drop something it is adorable. He also says thank you when we give him something he wants. The newest thing he did today was say "Toot Toot" after I said "Beep Beep" Greg and I always say "beep beep, toot, toot" if we give him a ride on his ride on little car and this morning I said "beep beep" as we were getting in the car and he replied "toot toot". I know I just have to brag a little our little boy is just so smart. He also hugs his little friends and their moms when we see them and says "bye bye" while waving when we leave.

I contemplate about going back to work full time soon but can't decide...it has been exactly one year since I went back part time and I feel like it is the best time now to go back before we think about a second one....but to go back to work and leave all this......not sure I am ready just yet but then again will I ever be really to return to work full time??? Who knows....

Check out the photos above! Auntie E Ryan drags that bag of books everywhere adn will sit and read them often and Grammy N Ryan loves his rocking horse a ton!

1 comment:

Jenny G said...

Sounds like a lot of fun! Toddlers are so energetic! Glad you overcame your fears of the play area. I had to do the same, but I admit I wiped down most stuff with antibacterial wipes whenever possible LOL!

I agree about getting second-hand toys. Most of Ava's are hand-me-downs (I know you don't have that much of an opportunity for hand-me-downs) and second-hand purchases. I wanted to recommend signing up for freecycle in your area as well as the cafe. I've been able to get a lot of stuff for Tyler through freecycle (an extra bassinet and a swing, clothes, etc.) You gotta love free, right? I just joined the cafe and haven't purchased anything, but have sold a few items there. Anyway, this might also be another place to find good deals :)