Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Happy New Year!

Wanted to wish everyone a very happy healthy 2008! We had a wonderful New Year's eve last night. Greg and I enjoyed a romantic dinner without Ryan but of course like always all we did was talk about him and how much we missed him and how we could not wait to pick him up :) But it is so nice to actually enjoy a meal without having to eat it cold and or inhale it! We definitely enjoyed the quit evening alone as a couple. We picked Ryan up and did not even attempt to keep him up to ring in the new year he was just too pooped. Greg and I did stay up but barely.

We started in on some of our resolutions today! We organized our kitchen cabinets and sadly I threw out a ton of expired dry goods I am embarrassed to say. But at least now the cabinets are nice and new and we know where everything is. Wanted to also thank my parents for the new Martha Stewart pots and pans! They are sparkling and we are going to throw our old ones away! I can't wait to cook with them. Thanks mom and Dad!

Next we hit the Trumbull mall for some returns and managed to limit our spending to only $10 dollars which included dinner out (to Ruby Tuesdays we had a gift card) Greg actually feels like we made money because he found an extra $20 in his coat pocket unexpectedly....don't ya just love that? But seriously this was a huge step for us we had absolutely no impulse buys at all! Although the temptations were there with all the after Christmas sales but we walked away without spending!

I do have to share this story. While walking around Lord and Taylor today....A middle aged couple shot me a dirty look and the husband muttered loud enough for me to hear" God I can't believe she is yanking that kid by a leash"! I felt so offended and I really really wanted to speak up and say something like.....'Um excuse me yes I have my child on a leash...would you rather I let him either a) sit and scream in his stroller kicking and throwing a fit b/c he wants to get out, b) let him run around the store aimlessly leaving a tornado in his path, OR c) let him run around the store so some stranger can kidnap him"....I mean geese he really made me feel very self conscience about having Ryan on the leash if that's what you want to call it. I mean what do you all think about the whole leash thing? It is not like I am going to use it until he is 5...it offers him some freedom to move around instead of being miserable strapped in the stroller the whole time and he LOVES to walk and run around and he was laughing and giggling the entire time! And he is still way to young to understand he has to stay with me and not touch everything. I actually bought the monkey backpack (leash..I hate to call it that) for the airport for next month when we go to Florida to tire him out so he would sleep on the plane. It is basically a little monkey backpack with a long tail on the end I can hold on to to keep him close to me if we are walking in a crowd I have only used it twice but now I am very hesitant to use ti again....I mean that man made me feel like a child abuser/very bad mother! Help!

Also wanted to let you all know that our friends Lori and Bernie welcomed their first baby Tyler Paul on December 30th at 6PM weighing on at 8lbs 1.0z and 21 inches long. The proud parents are doing very well they came home from the hospital today! Congratulations Lori and Bernie we are very excited for you and can't wait to meet little Tyler.

Hope everyone had a very Happy 2008!

1 comment:

Erin Flynn said...

Jen,

I know lots of families who have the monkey backpack - you shouldn't feel bad about using it. It is more important to keep your child safe, who cares about some grumpy old man's opinion?

In other news, I noticed that you want to make some donations. Big Brother or Salvation Army would be thrilled to take your old pots/pans - don't throw them away!

Happy New Year!
Erin