Thursday, January 24, 2008

Ryan on the (running) Move!

2008-01-24 Ryan 15 months



Today we had a play date at the Stepping Stones Children's Museum with Caroline and Sophia. Ryan just loves these girls so much and had to give them both great big hugs when he saw them. Ryan and Caroline carpooled with us and they held hands the entire time in the car...how sweet. So Ryan is totally on the (running) move now and I knew it would be a challenge at the museum today but I was determined not to use the monkey backpack (although at times I was so wishing I had it). For example as we were checking in at the museum and paying Ryan took off on me and literally started running wild throughout the museum squealing in delight and I had to abandon he cashier in search of Ryan....luckily he got distracted at one of the exhibits and I was able to capture him. Of course course sweet little Caroline stayed right next to her mom in line. Again same sort of story as we were checking our coats in the coat room he literally took off it took two adults to contain him as we hung up our coats. Luckily they have a toddler terrain area specifically geared towards children 3 and under so that was a lot of fun. They had a table with play dough...Ryan just had to take a little taste. He really enjoyed the slide and climbing up the steps. Really he just loved to run around the place! Some of the activities were a bit old for Ryan and his friends but we had a wonderful time! There was a water scape exhibit that we were going to try put but there were a lot of older children there and I was worried that Ryan would run away from me there. We checked out the rain forest exhibit but I think it was a bit too old for them but they enjoyed roaming around. It was a lot of fun but a bit pricey at $18 for the day for both of us. We passed on the seasons pass I think maybe next year when they can enjoy a bit more. We are planning on trying out Playtime Village next week.

Pretty much my life story these days is doing ANYTHING to get out of the house so I don't go nuts! Ryan is just at that stage where he is happiest on the (running) move and he gets bored in the house and I find he gets into more mischief when he is cooped up indoors. We have been frequenting the Fairfield Children's Library so Ryan can roam around and run. I seriously have issues keeping up with him and at 28lbs picking him up kicking and fighting me is quite the workout! So it has been my mission in life to seek out activities for us to partake in out side of the house! We have been to the park in the freezing cold twice this week. The upside of going to the park in the middle of January is that you have the entire park all to yourself.

Baby MUTANY at dinner time again tonight. Absolutely refused his dinner despite the fact that I broke down and offered him 2 different options. I think he had a very busy week, a lot of activity today, and too short of a nap and was just overly exhausted by the time dinner time rolled around. He fell asleepin my arms nursing and went to bed an hour earlier tonight! He even shed a few tears while in his highchair. That was it I broke down and ....gasp...ended up giving him some Oatios and Goldfish for dinner...I was desperate and it was the only thing that he would eat.....HELP anyone else have a rebellious toddler during mealtimes on their hands? On a positive note at least I did not end up wearing the chili he refused tonight.

Here's what he ate today
oatmeal 1/2 baby 1/2 adult with cinnamon, sweet potato, banana and raisins
1/2 slice raisin toast
entire pear
milk

lunch
spinach, broccoli, and cauliflower puree
plain yogurt
cereal bar
few goldfish
milk

snack
pirate booty

dinner
refused chili (which he gobbled up last night)
refused whole wheat eng muffin pizza (which he gobbled up yesterday) maybe he is just bored
ate a few bites of apple
goldfish/oatios
milk

packed a large bag of food for him tomorrow I know he will eat Polina out of house and home for sure! I already called her to give her a heads up. My mission is to again try to get lots of good stuff in throughout the day so if he refused dinner I will know he at least ate something....any other suggestions?

Also if anyone know any fun things to do with toddlers to burn off excess energy please let me know ASAP! Thanks.

2 comments:

Erin Flynn said...

That museum looks like so much fun! And Ryan looks adorable all bundled up for the winter trip to the park. Can't wait to see you tomorrow!!!

Jenny G said...

Jen,
Oh, the photos are adorable. OMG, I miss these playdates so much!! And I KNOW Ava does, too. We haven't had a chance to meet up with any groups here in FL, but fortunately Ava's cousins live across the street and other family nearby to keep her/us entertained.

I wanted to add one suggestion about baby mutiny (Ava does it too..she has a good karate-chop- swinging-arm-motion that sends food FLYING everywhere): have you noticed if Ryan prefers a certain temperature of food? Ava doesn't like her food warm and on occasion we've also noticed she doesn't like refrigerated temp'd foods either. So, we basically have to have it room temp or just a little warmer. Of course, this doesn't work for all foods. Right now, we are working on utensil use and she LOVES holding them and using them, but she wants one for each hand..little piggy. For a quicker mealtime, I let her have 2 untensils and I alternate taking one and "stabbing/scooping" the bites of food for her and she likes to take the fork/spoon from me to feed herself. We'll work on her "stabbing/scooping" later or when we have longer mealtimes LOL....Toddlers are cute and sometimes a little frustrating, huh???