Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Visit with Emily

2008-01-22 15 months


Emily (my college roommate) came up from D.C. for a visit to meet Ryan and celebrate my birthday. It was such a fantastic weekend and one of the best birthday celebrations ever! Thanks so much to Greg for watching Ryan so Emily and I could have some "girl fun" we went shopping, got mani/pedi's, went to dinner and then out for drinks with our other roommates from UMASS, saw 27 dresses, and even went to the Gym for a spin and kickboxing class (we could barely walk after) What a fun weekend! Emily thanks so much for visiting it was just like old times I miss you so much!

Other news Ryan and his Daddy cheered the Patriots on Sunday to their victory. There are even pictures of Ryan wearing his sweatshirt...Go PATRIOTS! Thanks cousin Jim for the sweatshirt!

Ryan has been a little better in the eating department but still some nights dinner is not his best meal. We have ventured into the Annabel Karmel Super Baby Foods cookbook and Deceptively Delicious by Jessica Seinfield. Emily and I made a bolognese sauce with hidden vegetables and surprisingly Ryan gobbled it right up but not before he threw the first bite at me....Yes and it was all over me the chair and the dining room floor. Lucky for me he only does this with me...go figure...would never dream of throwing food at his Daddy or Polina. To his surprise after he threw it (and yes it is sooo hard not to laugh but I bite my tongue I want to keep a stern face to let him know throwing food is incorrect!)He actually liked the taste. His new thing is that he says "HOT" to everything we put in his mouth regardless of if it is hot or not. Very cute....

Good news at the office. All my hard work is finally paying off...but not without a few mini meltdowns of course...but we have finally randomized all 7 patients...Yes the last participant was randomized today...HOORAY. Thank goodness! No one knows how much work these clinical research trials are! Whohoo we are finding a new promising treatment/possible prevention for Diabetes. And the results so far are astonishing. I can't give away all the juicy details but lets just say this everyday medication (likely sitting in your medicine cabinet at home) is really working very well to improve glycemic control in type 2 diabetics with slightly uncontrolled diabetes. We are almost half way through the trial....but wait there is more... phase 2...lucky for me! Seriously what a great learning expereince and to one day look back when the drug is approved and marketed and say....Geeze I helped make that happen... will all be worth it in the end! Wanted to share the news and this great accomplishement with all of you.

Here's what he ate today:
Breakfast

Apple
1/4 banana
kiwi
oatmeal
milk

Mid morning snack
Buckwheat ricotta bluberry pancake
milk
sliced peaches

Lunch
Bolognese sauce with orzo pasta(deceptively delicous recipe)
milk

snack
Earth's best apple cereal bar
milk

Dinner
water
broccoli/cauliflower/cheese chunky puree
(refuses unless slightly pureed)

Keep the toddler food ideas coming! I appreciate all the suggestions! Thanks

1 comment:

grammie sharon said...

looks like you had a wonderful visit. the boys look very confortable with Emily.


love to all mom