Thursday, February 7, 2008

Baby Mutiny at its Best!

Mutiny, Mutiny, Mutiny today! Yesterday I went to a work dinner and Greg fed Ryan dinner and of course (only for Daddy) he gobbled everything up and more. But today it was a totally different story. For breakfast he actually did fairly well ate scrambled eggs, mango, and had some milk, mutiny occurred with the strawberries and plum, and oatios/heart to heart cereal soaked in milk (which I hear from Polina he loves) apparently only for her he spit it back out for me and hand picked the strawberries out and piled them up on his tray from the bowl of fruit and ate only the mangoes leaving the plums in the bowl. So odd how toddlers manage their food. For lunch I offered him some whole wheat couscous, chicken broth, garden burger and squash....mutiny mutiny mutiny only took maybe 5 bites after I disguised it with mango. I sneaked a few bites of a healthy snack of cottage cheese and spinach after his afternoon nap though. Then for dinner I offered him left overs from last night. I guess he takes after me in the fact that I hate eating anything more than once in a week. It was slow cooked pork with apples, broccoli, and rice but he ate some bites only after I drenched it in apple sauce.

Hopefully he will do better tomorrow here is what I packed for him.... mangoes, strawberries, kiwi for snacking, chicken and rice for lunch, cottage cheese, yogurt, spinach for afternoon snack, and pirate booty but only if he eats all his other food.

I have come to learn in these past few months that feeding a toddler is quite possibly the most challenging aspect of motherhood for me now that and also my mission to tire the toddler the days that I am home which I am happy to say I managed to do 2/3 days this week...not too bad! Thank goodness the little menace is sleeping now and I can finally sit for the first time today. Sorry for the lack of blogging but it seems that this past week the toddler has had quite the burst of energy and has managed to burn me out.

Teething woes continue... I think Ryan is cutting some more teeth. Biting everything in site and refuses to take his right hand out of his mouth. He has it wedged so far back the only part poking out of his mouth is his chubby wrist and part of his hand but all fingers are in the mouth. I have tried to feel around for new ones pushing through but this is very dangerous one can risk having their entire finger/s completely bitten off if not careful! The toddler loves to bite anything and everything! I have suddenly become paranoid that Ryan does not know how to swallow that maybe something was wrong with his esophagus....then Greg added but he knows how to swallow food...oh yeah, duh. Anyways I have observed other toddlers Ryan's age and it seems that none of them seem to be drooling as much as Ryan and it is rare to even see a toddler these days wearing a bib. BTW if I don't keep a bib on this toddler at all times I would be changing his shirt every 0.5 seconds. It seems to me that the child does not know how to swallow his own saliva so he lets it drool out onto his bib/shirt. I think I may address the issue with the pedi at the next visit... I don' think it is anything urgent b/c since birth Ryan has never gone a day without a bib therefore I do not believe he has ever swallowed any saliva ever!

The preschool debate. So want to know how snooty Fairfield can be...I posted on another mommy board a question about preschools in town for 2 year-olds and opened another huge can of worms. I got nearly 20 responses most of which were very helpful but some were responses like "oh don't you know it will be hard to find a good preschool now....most of the good ones fill up at least a year in advance!" Also there are a few in town that are close to $12,000 a year FOR PRESCHOOL! So I put a few calls in and I will see when I hear back. There are only a handful in town that offer 2 yo programs and according to some moms they are probably likely getting full for 2008-2009 school year. Still looking into our options. Either way I think Ryan will do well with or without preschool at age 2. Most programs start at age 3. Either way it is worth researching a little.

Our first music class started on Tuesday. It is really a great class. All the toddlers in the class are all close in age 15-18 months (Ryan being the second youngest) compared to the sign class that was mixed ages newborn to age 4. The teacher is wonderful Ryan is learning how to sit in a circle, follow directions, play musical instruments, and sit on a blanket for story time. It is so cute she opened her story time blanket and Ryan went running over was the first to sit down...the other toddlers followed suit. What a great class and a nice group of toddlers and moms.

I will be busy packing for Florida this weekend. The Flynn's are driving down Sunday and making a pit stop to pick up some toddler equipment to bring down to the condo. I hear that McCashew is also packing for a warm weather get away the same week. We should compare lists Kerri to make sure I am not forgetting anything imprortant. BTW we had such a wonderful time at McCashew's first birthday celebration! Caroline is such an adorable baby and she is so grown up now! Her and Ryan really enjoyed playing together! I think Ryan made a new friend with your mom too! Ryan is looking forward to seeing his grandparents this weekend and thanks for taking some of our stuff in advance. Hope everyone has a great week!

3 comments:

Christina said...

I understand the feeding problems! Just as I was getting stressed over Christian's eating... tonight he ate his entire mean (unheard of!) and then dessert (again unheard of!). Good Luck, sounds like you've got an active boy on your hands too! :)

Jenny G said...

Jen, feeding a toddler is pretty challenging. Remember when all we had to feed our babies was breastmilk...oh those were the days, huh? About preschool..yeah, that's pretty amazing about waitlists, tuitions, etc. Jeff and I just started discussing it, but I'm in no rush just due to the fact it involves more research and decisions.

Have fun in FL...wish it were Ft. Myers then we could have a playdate!

mccashew said...

We should definitely compare lists. It seems overwhelming to pack for a long period of time away an in a different climate. I am trying to limit toys to beach things and books, with a couple lovies thrown in for good cuddling. The food is what is REALLY causing me concern seeing as how we won't have access to our familiar staples in Mexico nor will I be 100% trusting of the local food options. I bought some Motts Tots apple juice that is 50% purified water as a means to keep her hydrated, though you know how I feel about juice. I just want her to drink especially in the heat!

Caroline hasn't quite hit this baby mutiny with mealtime stage yet. I have noticed that when she is teething she refuses her meals, so perhaps that might be why poor Ryan is not as interested? I give Caroline frozen whole grain bagel slices to chew on and that seems to soothe her gums and she is usually more willing to eat after that... Thanks for coming to the party - we LOVED having your family there to celebrate!