Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Sore Bottom :(

Poor little Ryan caught the tail end of the stomach bug Greg had last week....and sadly I fear we have passed it along to the C3 family too. Ryan has now had diarrhea for the past 5 days. I started him on a strict BRAT/Braty diet for the past 2 days. (Bananas Rice Applesauce Toast/Yogurt) He does not however seem bothered by this at all despite having a very red sore bottom! I took him to the park today and yesterday to get some fresh air. You would never know this child is sick he runs and runs and plays and climbs. Eating and drinking well. The main concern with any stomach bug is the risk of dehydration. I gave him a pedialyte popsicle today and he loved it! He kept asking for more but I told him they were all gone and handed him some saltines instead. He seemed satisfied with the crackers.

I know these stomach things always take longer to resolve especially in children but poor Ryan must be so sick and tired of the Brat diet by now. If it continues beyond a week I may take him to the pedi. I did call them yesterday and they assured me that it would resolve in a few days not to give him any added sugar or fruit (aside from the applesauce and bananas)It is so tough to see your child sick.

So due to the sore bottom we have been spending lots of naked baby time! Ryan just gets a huge kick out of this and squeals running around the house in delight. We try to let him linger naked as long as possible especially after his bath. I have started using triple paste on his bottom and this has made a huge difference in the rash in only one day! (thanks for the tip C + K)

Anyone have any other suggestions for the never ending diarrhea? Thanks and sorry to be so graphic!

1 comment:

Jenny G said...

Oh no! Get well soon...Jen Hope you don't get it!!!