Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Finally on the Mend!

Hi So Ryan is finally on the mend. He had a little cold that started last Friday with a runny nose and little sad cough....no fever though. We have been cooped up for the past 5 days it was the first day Ryan has been out of the house except to see Polina on Friday and Monday. We spent a quiet restful weekend at home so Ryan could rest up. We decided to go to our music class today but skipped LLL meeting yesterday due to a runny nose. I did not want to be that mother who brings a sick child out. I even contemplated all day weather we would make it to music class today but we did and surprisingly he did well aside from a little whining and a slight cough. He is also drooling like crazy poor Ryan he is getting his eye teeth and first year molars all at once I can see the eye teeth poking through and I can feel the molars too. I did break down and I gave him his very first dose of Tylenol today due to the teething whoes....he was whiney and clingy after class and seemed so unhappy so I figured he was in some pain. It seemed to help ease him a bit he ate dinner ( 3 of Grammie's yummy meatballs, squash and whole wheat couscous and half an apple for dessert) no lack of appetite here and I figured if he had a sore throat he would not want to eat. I am guessing all the drooling is attributed to teething and not a sore throat. Anyways he went to sleep without a peep, thankfully.

We decided to start interviewing for a local babysitter for Ryan. Although I am sure his grandparent's don't mind the excuse for a visit to take care of Ryan we really do need someone local at night...gasp...maybe Greg and I could even go out together at night for dinner alone. Right now we have both sets of grandparents babysitting for our holiday parties but we really need someone local. So I decided to post flyers in search of a babysitter at Sacred Heart University in the school of nursing, education, and biology areas. I have already heard back from a few inquiries that seem promising. So I will let you know how it goes.


Update on the diabetes study...After 5 screened participants I have 2 patients who actually met the criteria to enlist into the study. They have passed the screening process and are now eligible for RUN IN which is a month long period where the patient actually has to take a placebo three times a day (they think they are getting the actual drug but everyone gets placebo during this time period to ensure compliance) if they have less than an 80% compliance with the placebo rate then they are disqualified from the study. Yes I actually have to count all the pills they return. Only then after they complete RUN IN are they actually randomized to the study. This study is really a great learning experience and I know we are trying to find a new drug for diabetes but it is sooooooooo much work and somehow I am stuck doing EVERYTHING......identifying the patients, screening the patients aliquotting all the blood for the lab (I feel like a chemist), and doing all the data entry (I am sooo not good with computers)...not to mention I have no idea what I am doing and I am constantly on the phone with the people from Harvard and GWU all the while I am supposed to be seeing patients and precepting an APRN student form UCONN. It is alot for me but let's just say my days seem to fly by. But I am sad to say it will be like this for a while.... once the patient is randomized to the study it is 8 weeks long plus a follow up period..the screening process alone is roughly 6-8 weeks so that will be until next Spring at least.

Looking forward to Seeing the Flynn's this weekend for a visit. They are watching Ryan so Greg and I can go into the city for his work party on Friday. It should be a lot of fun. We used to go into the city all the time and I can't believe I have not been since Ryan has been born. Hope everyone has a great week and Talk to you all soon. Hopefully Ryan will be feeling better by the weekend! Miss you all a ton!

No comments: