Monday, August 11, 2008

First ER Vist...certainly not the last I am sure!

It was a crazy week last week sorry for the lack of updates. Last week Ryan tripped and fell tearing his face up and we had our first ER experience. Yes he tripped and fell and cut his face and I knew from the looks of the laceration he would definitely need a stitch or two. If I had taken the suturing workshop I would have done it myself (yeah right just kidding taking them out was pure torture enough for all of us especially me!) But anyways the people over at Bridgeport were very kind and gentle they kept us waiting and were slower than molasses...I mean we were there 2 1/2 hrs for a few teeny weeny stitches that took all of 5 minutes but anyways they did a good job and they were friendly and courteous. But trying to keep a rambunctious toddler occupied in a tiny room for 2.5 hrs was sheer torture and we were in a hurry to get there I grabbed the essentials only and did not put much thought into toddler entertainment. Greg and I were looking at each other wondering what the heck was taking so long! I mean the child was climbing everything in site and we thought to ourselves gee if we sit here in this tiny not so childproofed room any longer our child will need more that just a couple of stitches! Luckily the cheerios and snacks kept him occupied for short time but finally I went to the nurses desk to speak up. Sounding as polite as possible went something like this....

"Um hello excuse me our son is losing his patience a bit and getting a little impatient is there anyway we can move things along a bit....sorry I hate to sound pushy...Thanks so much!"

The nurse gave me a sort of confused look and said yeah he is getting his supplies together now...The kind of look that says geeze don't be so impatient lady! Obviously these people don't deal with toddlers regularly. I mean it is not like the place was all that busy I think we were the only ones there!

Anyways they literally mummy wrapped him and taped him to the table for the procedure and he screamed bloody murder it was really hard to watch! But it was finally over and Ryan, Greg and I were thoroughly exhausted from the mornings events! They told us to come back to get them removed but I did not want to put him through that again and who knows how long they would have kept us waiting! So I took a bunch of sterile supplies home from work and took them out myself...it was not pretty but it was better than bringing him back there.

Otherwise things have been fine with Ryan he did not seem bothered by the stitches at all. I just hope he does not get a big scar on his face. We all survived and he hopefully won't remember!

I think we have decided after this recent injury we will put him in a toddler bed this weekend. He is still climbing although it has improved I just feel like it is another accident waiting to happen. I bought a headboard to match his bedroom furniture and I am thinking of transitioning him to a toddler bed first then putting him int he twin bed. It just seems so big and high up for him now I think the toddler bed would be a better transition for him. His little friend has the fire engine bed and he climbed right in and got under the covers and would not get out of the bed so I am hoping he will like the race car bed.

Greg won his golf tourney yesterday so he is now the best player at his club. It was called the club championship and has been going on for two weeks. He played 18 holes on Sat and 36 holes yesterday to win the match! We are so proud of him but I am glad it is over. He promised to lay off the golf a bit for the rest of the season b/c he has not been around a whole lot this summer and we really need to spend more time together as a family! I am happy to have him around more often now!

Excited to be watching the olympics every night! In fact I have been staying up so late I am tired today! I just love it. Any other big fans out there?

2 comments:

Christina said...

Poor Ryan!!! Glad he is better though. That must have been scary for you guys!

Looking forward to seeing you guys this week!

mccashew said...

So sad Jen!! I am sure you are right that he won't even remember it! Good luck with the toddler bed - how exciting~